Merging votes

• updated
  • Completed

When you merge 2 topics, the votes count on the resulted merge must be +1

Also, the merged topic should show as a comment in the resulted merge.

Sergey Stukov co-founder
  • Answer
  • Under review
Ryann
Good point.

The global count depends on which people voted on both duplicate topics (not to count two votes for the same person).
But since you can prevent double-voting, I'm sure you can prevent double-counting.
JDB
If one topic has 2 votes and another 3 votes, and they are merged, shouldn't the votes be 5?
Vladimir Mullagaliyev co-founder
Quote from JDB
If one topic has 2 votes and another 3 votes, and they are merged, shouldn't the votes be 5?
Should be 5.
JDB
Quote from Vladimir Mullagaliyev
Should be 5.
Ok, I think I asked the wrong question...
Idea A has 2 votes, then a new Idea B with 0 votes is merged. The total should be 3, since B is also someone interested in that same idea (even having 0 votes, the post itself should count as 1).
Ryann
Quote from JDB
Ok, I think I asked the wrong question...
Idea A has 2 votes, then a new Idea B with 0 votes is merged. The total should be 3, since B is also someone interested in that same idea (even having 0 votes, the post itself should count as 1).
Oh, yes, you are true: the final (merged) count must take into account the fact that the author of a topic can't vote for his own topic...
Indeed, if he created this topic, he is implicitely "for", and should be counted +1 when merged to another similar topic, where only the author of that other topic is not counted.

Note: this +1 when merging should not be counted if that forum does not prevent from voting for our own topics.

"Manual" alternative:
when the admin merges two topic, such a case could raise a dialog box and let him choose what he wants "Warning: the author of the merged topic is nit in the merged count. Should we add +1 for that user?"
Vladimir Mullagaliyev co-founder
  • Completed