0
Fixed

UserEcho translations that seem not to commit

Ryann 5 years ago in Multilanguage • updated by Vladimir Mullagaliyev (co-founder) 5 years ago 8

Hello,


I guess I shouldn't have reported this as a simple comment in another topic, which made this not really visible. I just create a dedicated issue since I still encounter the bug:


I encounter a strange behavior with some French translations of UserEcho. For (rare) strings, I can save & commit... But when I leave the file and come back, it is not saved & commited and the previous translation is still there... Sometimes with me as author, which is not even true ;-)

Examples:

"Staff"

"Deny"

"Feedback"

...

I noticed that is some cases the "right" translation I entered is mentioned in alternative translations, as "Imported. Vote for it". But I can't vote for it either!

And "1 hour ago" (with Plural alternative) can even not be edited since there is no input fields for those 2 particular strings!!!... 

Is there something in the UserEcho string files that make Collabtrans ignore and fail with the modifications? Of course examples are hard to find (since you must remember you had changed it before! But there is likely to exist more than those 3 examples).


Answer

Answer
Under review
Hi Rya,
Sorry for waiting.
Let try to find the problem.
1. For example, with translation is right for "Staff"?  Try change it to the right and I will check it.
2. "1 hour ago" has the fields, look at screenshot. Do you see something else?




GOOD, I'M SATISFIED
All the problematic cases I encountered by now are fixed.
Hope it won't happen again.
Thank you!
Satisfaction mark by Ryann 5 years ago
Answer
Under review
Hi Rya,
Sorry for waiting.
Let try to find the problem.
1. For example, with translation is right for "Staff"?  Try change it to the right and I will check it.
2. "1 hour ago" has the fields, look at screenshot. Do you see something else?




Hi, thank you for answering... But the situation is still the same as described in detail above.


1) For instance, all the occurrences of "Staff" in sentences are translated into French as "Personnel"... except for the word "Staff" itself... And when I correct/save/commit it, it is still the old translation when I come back to the translation site.

(The biggest problem I see is that even if you force the right text for this example, there might be many other cases when the modification are not commitable that I did not detect...)


2) With all the web browsers I tested on Mac OS (Firefox, Safari, Chrome) the problem of "missing fields" is the same for "1 hour ago" as you can see hereafter on the snapshot corresponding to searching "ago":





Yes, today I had the same issue. We will fix it soon. Sorry.


Hi Vladimir,
Thank you, point 2 mentioned above (about "ago") seems to be solved.

But point 1 is still a present bug:
=> some translations (like the three examples mentioned in my first message: "Staff", "Deny", "Feedback") can't be properly edited as described above (you can SAVE and COMMIT, but the translation keeps its previous status).
I just tried again a few seconds ago to modify "Staff" without success...

I don't know what is the reason why and I suppose that finding the reason would allow to find many other occurrences of such "uneditable" translations that I didn't notice myself.

Nevertheless, if you want the 3 particular French translations right for the occurrences I noticed, they should be edited this way:
"Staff" -> "Personnel" #(to use the same word as all the other texts)
"Deny" -> "Refuser" #(to be homegeneous with "Allow")
"Feedback" -> "Retours" #(to use the same plural in French as in all the other texts)

Best regards.
By the way, I just discovered a new one "refusing" to commit:
"updated" -> "mis à jour" refuses also to commit and keeps its old translation "mis à jour le".

(I'm trying to suppress the ending "le" since it's correct only for a date like "mis à jour le 22 juillet 2013"
but is not correct for all other timestamps, for instance "mis à jour le il y a 2 heures" (updated 2 hours ago).
I found a workaround for the above case (translation of "updated") by:
- first entering and committing a dummy translation other than the target one -> OK
- and then entering and committing a correction from this dummy translation to the right target one ("mis à jour") -> OK too

Weird but it worked for that case.
Nevertheless it did not work for the 3 above cases (Staff/Deny/Feedback)
I entered the English work as dummy translation (the commit worked) and then I tried to enter the right target translation, but it's blocked again... Now it's blocked on the English word...But I really can't enter the correct target translation I wish.
Hi Ryann,
Seems like we have fixed problem with "Staff/Deny/Feedback" right now.
Now you should see your saved translations as is.